[Beyond] More on the Oil Spill

Emily Burgess ebritt at gmail.com
Fri May 21 07:53:57 PDT 2010

If you haven't read Salon.com's take on it, this one might interest you:
http://e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2272

Okay, I know that you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet. But do we
really need such a big omelet? I believe in risk-taking, when the ends are
worth it. But I'm starting to think that the ends - eating all the oil in
the world - do not justify the means - ignoring the safety not only of the
more abstract (but vital) things like the ocean and animal species but also
the concrete, tougher-to-argue-away things like human lives.

I can understand, to a point, why we employ lab rats and other animals to
help us create vaccines to protect ourselves from (rapidly mutating because
of our over-intervention) virii and other pathogen-type ickies. But
shouldn't we respect those things we so willingly sacrifice? I can
understand, to a point, where we want to drill for oil to protect ourselves
- politically, comfortably - 'our way of life' is at stake - from tough
stuff. But can we conscienably rush things like - um - safety? Where's the
balance?

One answer that I'm getting closer to believing in 100% is to shut it all
down, to choose every moment to live on less, to consume less, to respect
the world and ourselves more. These tirades of mine will soon be old hat to
friends and readers, but it's something I'm becoming passionate about, and I
hope that passion will spill over and splash on you, too.

--
~ Emily

"If the only prayer you said in your whole life was 'thank you,' that would
suffice." ~ Meister Eckhart