[Beyond] Jobs are Disappearing

John L. Clark jlc6 at po.cwru.edu
Fri May 21 09:19:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Emily Burgess <ebritt at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/05/millions-of-jobs-likely-gone-for-good.html
>
> Jobs are disappearing, and companies don't really miss them.

Wow.  This article has some juicy nuggets of insight into civilization for us.

It warns that "millions of jobs lost in the recession could be gone
for good", that "many jobs may not be coming back [in] retailing,
manufacturing and advertising", and notes that "more than half the
15.3 million people out of work in April said they regard their layoff
as permanent" (among many other cheery statements), but the first
paragraph tosses in the one-off assertion that "[t]he economy is
strengthening".  That's some bold propaganda.  I wonder what
high-level editor stepped in to ensure that the article had some
optimism, so that they can have an alibi against causing more market
damage than has been done of late?

Our (and by "our", I mean "civilization's") whole economic system is
based on competition and, thus, growth, but growth cannot continue
forever.  Which means that that same economic system will eventually
have to stop growing, and, if it is overextended, contract.

Here's another great quote from the article:

"Many economists say eventually, companies won't be able to squeeze
any more work out of their employees."

As Jensen asks, "[h]ow's it feel to be civilized?  How's it feel to be
a slave?"[0]

Wow.

[0] http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60971.Endgame_Volume_1_The_Problem_of_Civilization