[Beyond] More on the Oil Spill

John L. Clark jlc6 at po.cwru.edu
Wed May 26 08:53:14 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM, John L. Clark <jlc6 at po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> But BP does not only wield direct political influence.  Civilization
> itself, and our cooperation with civilization, encourages ever riskier
> exploitation of our world such as with the Deepwater Horizon.

And yesterday, Richard Heinberg chimed in with a great summary of this
idea in his article "Deepwater Horizon Blowout: This is What the End
of the Oil Age Looks Like"[0].  I particularly appreciate this quote:

"The cheap, easy petroleum is gone; from now on, we will pay steadily
more and more for what we put in our gas tanks—more not just in
dollars, but in lives and health, in a failed foreign policy that
spawns foreign wars and military occupations, and in the lost
integrity of the biological systems that sustain life on this planet."

I also want to share Tom Tomorrow's recent humorous approach to
criticizing our exploitative impulses in "What could possibly go
wrong?"[1].  Indeed.  One thing to note is that Tom's "This Modern
World" comic obviously parodies the Deepwater Horizon crisis directly,
but it is important that we also make the connection that the real
"Doomsday Bomb" is all of civilization.

[0] http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6510

[1] http://www.salon.com/entertainment/comics/this_modern_world/2010/05/25/this_modern_world/index.html