[Beyond] Sustainable Food

Jason Richard jason.e.richard at gmail.com
Thu May 27 13:28:45 PDT 2010

It's no great surprise the farm subsidies are never a hot button issue in
elections in times like these where there are wars amongst a laundry list of
problems, but the links Emily provided pretty much run down every reason
that I've ever heard as to why subsidies are so moronically outdated.  They
are a product of a time when the market and nature failed the agricultural
industry and now that system that eased the burden of those failures has
completely insulated farming from anything resembling normal market forces.

Even in an era where the term "too big to fail" has taken on such venomous
connotations towards auto makers and banks people continue to be blissfully
unaware of the way that the farming industry is marching in that same
direction with the government holding its hand all the way down the path.

The problem, at least as I see it, is that the farmer has long held a
mythical place in the American narrative.  Our first president was a farmer
when he wasn't busy fighting.  Farmers were the back bone of the American
economy for its first 100 years.  The Jeffersonian ideal of a man going west
and breaking the land with nothing but his bare hands and will speaks
directly to the cherished tradition of rugged individualism in this
country.  And much of the story of farming from the 1870's to the New Deal
is one of hard working farmers falling victim to nature and big business.
That dual legacy of standard bearer and victim is tough to shake when trying
to get someone to look at the problem in a modern context.

I think the economic ramifications of this, if people could wrap their heads
around them, might be the most persuasive way at undermining the power of
the corporate farms that are so environmentally problematic.  Tell someone
that they can save the planet by gardening and you'll get as many shrugs as
you do nods.  If you can get people to see their tax dollars are being
wasted to help corporations?  That can light a fire.